Company policy

CSA deals with the design and production of material for pressure systems for aqueduct, sewage and industrial use and the marketing of all types of valves and solutions for the regulation of pressure systems in the aqueduct, sewerage and industrial sectors.


Its corporate mission is to be recognized as a structured and leading company for the production of pressure systems for aqueduct, sewage and industrial use.

Our target market consists of around 65% of foreign customers and the remaining 35% of customers in the Italian territory.

The Quality Management System of CSA s.r.l. must guarantee:

  • customer satisfaction through the creation of products according to the required standards and specifications

  • continuous improvement of the effectiveness / efficiency of all the company processes.

For this reason the management of the company together with all the company resources is committed to the continuous improvement of the performance of the company and therefore aimed at managerial, technical and professional growth.

The principles and methodologies of Quality have therefore been an inspiring model in the management and management of the activities of the company, which is constantly engaged in the analysis of the Customer's expectations, to guarantee your maximum satisfaction.

The Quality System is implemented through processes that take place within the company with the collaboration of individual functions and all employees.


Our strengths are:

  1. Technical development of new products suitable for particular applications also at the request of the customer, in addition to a range of standard products on the price list. The development is carried out by our internal Technical Department with attention aimed at complying with sector regulations and national standards;

  2. Assistance to the customer in all phases of order acquisition, order fulfillment and post delivery assistance thanks to commercial and operational personnel able to intervene to solve problems;

  3. Product quality: we guarantee the quality of our products thanks to a careful control of raw materials and selection of qualified suppliers and to the verification of 100% of the products;

  4. Training and periodic training of our staff;

  5. Periodic preventive maintenance of the equipment and calibration of the measuring instruments.


Company Strategies

The company sets the following business strategies for achieving its objectives:

  • Establish contracts with new retailers worldwide to increase the number of customers also in terms of turnover;
  • Development of post-sales assistance service both by telephone and through on-site assistance;
  • Strengthening contacts with the customer through commercial contacts and direct meetings;
  • Careful selection of suppliers through checks on the same and control of the material in acceptance;
  • Warehouse management and production planning in order to meet customer delivery times;
  • Development of new products and obtaining approvals for the marketing of products suitable for contact with water intended for human consumption.